This is from a good fact sheet from the Organic Consumers Association on biofuels:
THE BAD NEWS
- The amount of grain it takes to fill an average gas tank with ethanol would be enough to feed a person for a year.
- If the US stopped growing food and converted its entire grain harvest into ethanol, it would satisfy less than 16% of its automotive needs.
- The majority of US biofuels are produced from pesticide intensive genetically engineered crops (soy, corn).
- Increasing portions of biofuels are now produced by monocultures of soy and sugar cane in Latin America and palm oil in Indonesia and Malaysia, which have led to massive deforestation, the loss of invaluable biodiversity, and massive outputs of Greenhouse Gases
- Increasing fuel efficiency by just 3% would reduce US dependence on foreign oil more than all of the agrofuels combined, yet more than 500% more taxpayer money is spent on subsidizing ethanol than energy conservation, mass transit, solar, wind, and fuel-efficient technologies combined.