Friday, December 26, 2008

Home again, home again

Back from visiting my daughter; glad to be with her and glad to be home.

While catching up on my messages, I found a link to a new Western Mass blog, and that led to another link, and that led to another link...most of them focused on poetry and arts.

Funny how we make choices without even realizing, at the time, that they are choices. When I was twelve, I thought I'd grow up to be a poet. Instead, I'm a community organizer who writes poetry.

All the new links I discovered have inspired me to share two poems.


Opal is sleeping
in an abandoned building
still has electricity praise god
who knows for how long.
She borrows a pan from the office
to boil water on her hotplate
to wash her hair.

I notice her cutting is getting worse
arms crisscrossed like her life
but she keeps me laughing.
"Don't even have a dollar
for a library card so I pretend to read."
She is twenty-four.
"See you tomorrow at the rally,"
she says, slamming my car door.


Everything’s damp this morning:
The crib, the bread, the floors:
It rained more hard at 6 a.m.
than ever I’ve seen before
& a fishhead keeps appearing
that my cats set free
from the next door Spanish garbage.
Thrown over the porch, it surfaces
Under the t.v.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Whoa! I LOVE "Opal is sleeping." May I print it in Homeless Tom homelesstom.blogspot.com [or Sacramento Homeless] and link back here?

There was a march and rally for the homeless on the 23rd which was a big deal, thus your poem especially hits home for me.

Unknown said...

I'd be honored.

Anonymous said...

"When I was twelve, I thought I'd grow up to be a poet."

Ah, but you *have* grown up to be a poet, Michaelann; your very life, as seen from so many vantage points and so many screens, looks to be poetry itself, of the purest sort. And that more formal bit of poetry assembled above - in the form of traditional word strings - is so very achingly, poetically, beautiful.

Unknown said...

That's very kind of you.

Unknown said...

Hey, Michaelann. I posted "Opal is sleeping" in Sac'to Homeless blog with my analysis. Thank you. Thank you. -- Tom Armstrong

Unknown said...

Thank you. I thought i'd added your blogs to my blogroll some time ago but must not have hit the save button-- remedied now.